The "Washington Hotel" was built at the beginning of last century by a citizen from Gardone who returned from America, where he had made considerable fortune.
Gabriele d'Annunzio purchased the Washington property ninety years ago, in 1924, three years after becoming owner of Cargnacco.
The acquisition took place in the context of the enlargement of the estate that would become the Vittoriale and that grow from the two hectares when it was bought - in 1921 - to the actual about nine hectares.
The former hotel on the northwest boundary of the estate, a few steps from the entrance of the Vittoriale, was planned by the architect Giancarlo Maroni to become the house of the employees of the Vittoriale.
On 24 November 1924 - to impress his seal on the building- the poet gave a new name to the building: "The Washington from today on will be called Greccio." After the death of the poet the estate was inhabited by families from Gardone until the nineties.
In 2003, the Vittoriale Foundation decided to renovate "Washington Hotel", turning it into a guest quarters and creating three apartments and two studios to accommodate students, who visit the archives of D'Annunzio as well as the President of the Foundation.
Ten years later, in 2013, the idea emerged to create three apartments and two rooms that have their names inspired by the culture of D'Annunzio. Now, even the furniture is made in the style of D'Annunzio. The project was curated by Paola Tiberio of Peschiera del Garda and the furnishing was made by the furniture companies Zanni of Vobarno (Brescia) and Bonfante of Cerea (Verona).
It was inaugurated on August 22, 2014 and it has taken over the old name'Washington'.